Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Firefox 0.9 is out, update.mozilla.org opens

Mozilla Firefox 0.9 is out! New stuff includes:

  • New Extension & Theme Managers (with automated updating)
  • Comprehensive migration of bookmarks, cookies, preferences from other browsers (IE, Mozilla, Netscape, older versions of Firefox)
  • New default theme (Winstripe, replacing Qute, after a little bit of a developer bust-up)
  • The Windows Installer version is just 4.7mb! That's even bearable on dialup :)
  • Lots of bugfixes
  • Read all the improvements in the release notes

You can grab the windows version from here , or versions for other systems from the FTP directory. Get it now! It rocks. So many benefits over IE.

On the extensions/themes front, update.mozilla.org has opened. I'm not a fan of the look of the site, but having a central place for extensions & themes can only be a good thing. If only they could just move the Texturizer.net extensions page across to u.m.o I'd be happy ;-)

0.9 seems like a great release - 0.8 was fantastic (and has been my default browser for a while now), so if it's any kind of improvement it can only be great. looking forward to 1.0 :)

I'm not 100% convinced about the new default theme (winstripe), I think the old default theme (Qute) was better for the windows platform. It just...fitted in better, or something. I can understand wanting to have one theme for all platforms, I just don't think it's actually necessary (or even desirable). The 3 platforms (OSX, windows, linux) are different enough in their visuals that having a different theme for each that fits in with the OS is a good thing IMO. But what do I know, I'm just a user ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelley Ender said...

Firefox is awesome. I've made the switch.

12:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home