Friday, July 23, 2004

mondegreen?1

So I'm a bit of a fan of enigma (at least, I loved the first three albums - MCMXC AD, The Cross of Changes and Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi were pretty good, The Screen Behind The Mirror was pretty bad, and I haven't heard the new one yet.)

So anyway, I'm listening to The Child In Us from Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi2, and there's a lyric that I keep hearing as:

You were the one
You were the reindeer welder's son

What a mental image. I can just see the scene in the little Scandinavian village:

- Where are you going, Dad?
- I'm off to the reindeer welding fields, son. That's my job, see, I weld reindeers.
- When will you be back, Dad?
- When all the reindeer are welded, son, and not a minute before.

That of course begs the question of how you would weld a reindeer, anyway. Weld them...together? Weld things to them? Weld their legs to their bodies? The possibilities are endful!




  1. Mondegreen: a mis-heard song lyric.
  2. For those of you who don't remember the French you did in school, that's "The King Is Dead, Long Live The King". For those of you who do remember the French you did in school, like me, I feel sorry for you.
    Lost In Translation renders this as "King To is INOPERATIVE, phase of enthusiastic desire the king!". Much more poetic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Saemon said...

That also begs the following questions...
1. If you can weld reindeer, what other animals can you weld?
2. Can you weld animals across species? Because I don't know about you, but I think welding endangered species to prolific breaders, would benefit the globe - ecologically ofcourse!! Can you imagine seeing a Flat Footed Rock Wallaby welded to the side of Rabbit? Why does the Flat Footed Rock Wallaby have flat feet? Is it a problem that could be fixed by a podiatrist??

12:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home