Sunday, September 12, 2004

Jurassic 5 roadtrip

A few weeks ago (6, actually), me and a couple of mates (Steve & Glen) headed off at an ungodly hour of the morning over to Melbourne to see the totally awesome Jurassic 5 play at the Prince of Wales hotel.

We drove over on a Thursday (29/07/2004), arrived at Steve's sister's place (where we were staying) around 3:30pm or so, and headed off to the gig on Thursday night. The gig itself was absolutely sensational - I'd go so far as to say it was one of my favourite live shows of all time. The 4 MCs were amazing, and the 2 DJs were heaps talented - they did a DJ-only break in the middle of the set that featured Cut Chemist laying down the beats and scratches and Nu-Mark playing a variety of different instruments - turntables, live drums and a little sample-triggering thing - and the result was great fun to watch and very funky. The whole set was very tight, they'd move from song to song really quickly (often blending 3 or 4 together with no breaks), and the 4 MCs really got the crowd jumping (literally). Excellent gig all round.

Friday was spent doing a little bit of work (met with one of our clients in Melbourne who I hadn't had a chance to meet face to face with yet) and just hanging around the place. I caught up with Saemon and Casey for tea on Friday night (it was just great to see those guys again), then on Saturday during the day we went to IKEA (fun, but I got sick of it pretty quickly). Saturday night we went to watch Port Adelaide play Essendon at the Telstra Dome (Port lost after a very shonky 2nd quarter :( ). Sunday morning we left relatively early again and got home after some very directions through the backroads of the Adelaide hills from Glen.

All round, a very relaxing and fun extended-weekend road trip. I missed Sarah, but that was the only down point really. Steve's sister and brother-in-law's house was awesome! The public transport in Melbourne rocks compared to Adelaide. Wow, I can't believe this was a month and a half ago, it feels like yesterday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Saemon said...

Hey - thanks for the very brief mention in your most recent post. I was beginning to think you were posting via Australia Post - hence the huge gap in correspondence. I noticed there was no mention of the excellent Chinese Restaurant or the Ice Cream trip!?!

10:31 am  
Blogger Ben said...

I know, how slack of me! Let me recify that.

So on the Friday night, Casey, Seamon and I went out to a delightful little chinese restaurant close to the place we were staying. I can't remember the details of what we ate, other than that it was served in a small room on crappy tables with mis-matching cutlery, and that it was absolutely delicious. No really, it was fantastic. Pretty cheap too, which is always a bonus. Afterwards I had the itchy exploring bug, so I made us go on a round-melbourne trip to find an icecream shop; after travelling through several suburbs, we ended up coming back to the McDonalds that was just down the road from the chinese place and having McFlurries. But it was a fun drive, eh! Well, I enjoyed it anyway.

There we go, that's a bit better :)

Re length of correspondence: I know. see previous posts on Why I Suck and Inconsequentiality.

11:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home