Thursday, December 16, 2004

Degree of difficulty: 4.5

Oooh yeeeeah. I just got the final result for the last topic of my Bachelor of Information Technology - and it's a Credit. Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my pleasure to announce, that after eight years:

I have completed my degree!

What a great feeling. And what an odyssey. I started off in 1996 studying a Bachelor of Science (after initially not getting an offer despite my year twelve score being more than high enough). I really wanted to do a physics major, but after discovering that I wasn't really that great at physics (despite how much I enjoyed it), and not really knowing where a degree in physics would take me employment-wise, I decided in mid-1997 to transfer to a Bachelor of Information Technology.

Well, that wasted the second half of 1997, and in 1998 I started picking up the first-year topics I'd missed from the BIT and doing as many of the second-year topics as I could. At the end of 1999, with three topics to go until I finished, I got full-time employment with what was then WebMedia, a small website development company of about seven employees.

With all the best intentions, I enrolled in two topics for semester one 2000. What I didn't really understand was just how hard it would be to work full-time and study as well. I ended up not being able to commit any time to study at all, and I withdrew from both of those topics (unfortunately for me after the cut-off date; I got nice big Fs for both of those on my report :( ). I never really got inspired to start study again, and I let my enrolment lapse until I decided about a quarter of the way through 2003 that I should start up again and get the damn thing finished.

So, after having to jump through a few hoops to get my enrolment re-instated (silly, silly boy for not formally applying for leave), in semester two 2003 I started doing one topic at a time while maintaining full-time work - I figured I could cope with that workload. It was still really hard - especially after starting Iugo in march 2004 - but thanks to Sarah's support I've finally got there.

Now, this is mega sappy, but I'm going to do it anyway: some quick thankyous - to my amazing wife Sarah, for her support and giving up so much of our time together so that I could study, and to my parents for supporting me both personally and financially through it (especially before I got my full-time job).

I feel so much better knowing that's finished!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home